Some simple recipes from Dolly Dionne:
Mushroom soup: Chop one onion & sautee with two cloves garlic. Fry till onion become transluscent. For added flavour, you can add some chopped bacon. Then add mushrooms & sautee... till moisture comes out. Add thyme at this moment. Add double cream about 300ml and stir till small bubbles & frangrant. Then add chicken / veg stock. If you want remove half quantity from pot & puree. Then return to boil.
Tomato Sauce: Chop one large white onion & sautee with two cloves garlic. Fry till onions become transluscent. Then add tomatoes (Best brands for canned - Pomodoro, Pelatti, Waitrose & Delmonte) and herbs like rosemary and thyme. Simmer for 45 mins till oil rises to surface. Then keep.
Stew Chicken: Marinate chicken with soya sauce and corn flour. Then fry one onion with some garlic. Add chicken & fry till chicken surfaces are all cooked. Then add veg like carrot and potato. Add stock or water and one stick of cinamon. Put dried or fresh herbs like oregano & thyme. Then transfer all into slow cooker, put on lowest setting & leave it.
Pan-fry Chicken/ Fish: Marinate chicken with one tsp soya sauce, one tsp honey, one clove garlic, some black pepper and a dash of sesame oil. Then pan fry. Serve with boiled brocoli and carrots. For fish, add one tsp butter and some cream, salt & pepper as the sauce to the dory fillet. Can also add tomato to make it less 'jelak' or squeeze some lemon.
Cod Fish witH Salsa Verde
- Wash cod fish fillet. Put salt & leave for 5 mins. Rinse & pat dry.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in non stick pan.
- Put fish skin side down & cook for 2 mins. Sprinkle sea salt & black pepper over flesh.
- Flip to other side.
- Cook another 3 mins.
- Remove from pan. Spoon salsa over. (Salsa recipe - see www.babypuppi.blogspot.com) Or:
- 150 gms Cherry tomatoes, halved.
- 1/4 lemon juice only.
- 2 small shallots, chopped fine.
- 1 colve garlic, chopped fine.
- Combine all, add salt & pepper to taste. Leave for 10 mins before use. You may chop corriander & add if you like.
LONG BEANS - Make your own Gado Gado; a traditional dish in Indonesian cuisine, and comprises a vegetable salad served with a peanut sauce dressing
- Wash long beans.
- Bring water to boil & add salt. cook long beans for 1 min in boiling water. Drain.
- Add tau kwa, slice & pan fry (optional).
- Easy Sauce: 6 tbsp chunky peanut butter. 1 tsp honey. Add this to 1 tbsp olive oil, slightly heated.
- Add salt to taste + 2 tbsp warm water.