Follwing up action from my previous blog on 'How To Teach Your Toddler To Read'.
*** Every parent has different parenting styles. Every parent have different objective learning and exposures for their little ones. I know I want Kady to be a young reader. If you are too, we are on the same direction. Else just read for exposure. Don't stress your kid too much. At the end of the day, say at PSLE. they will attained all the necessary basics. ***
• I have done about 30 single words; starting with the words he can pronounce now.
• Then I will make use of the words found inside Bob Books, Set 1: Beginning Readers and build on more single words
• Gradually he should be able to read Bob Books, Set 1: Beginning Readers
• Next will go on to double words ie. green tiger (hopefully by 6 months time)
General guide for producing these word cards:
- Printed on A4, at least 200gsm card
- Using Powerpoint
- font size about 189pt and 172pt (for longer charactered words)
- font type: Arial (san serif fonts please...)
- font colour: black
- font style: lower case
- Back of the card >>> remember to write the word on the top edge SO THAT you don't have to flip the card here and there during the session.
It's play time for Kady! Remember if you are doing flash cards with your little ones, conceptualise as PLAY and keep the cards out of reach so that it becomes a 'precious game' with mommy. Make it fun, learning through play. I strongly believe it.
I also must balance these flash cards session with WordWorld (a form of entertainment of letters exposure).
PS: Referenced some books from bookstores and thought of printing on cards on my own and bind into a book! Books on shapes, colours and a goodnighty book. Popular Book Fair at Expo is on 29 May till 7 June. I will do more referencing!